Skip to main content

Why I'm Hoping for a "Mermaid"

As a child, I was convinced that Ariel and I were one. We were the same person, and I was so sure that I was a mermaid that I would sit on my bedroom floor pretending to give my voice to seawitch, “Ah ah ah, ah, ah, ahhhhhh” as I lifted a yellow goldish bouncy ball into the air acting as if it was the visual of my voice lifting up to Ursula.
During the summer, I would cross my legs at the ankles to make sure I could swim like a mermaid refusing to separate my legs to the point of sinking at times. I was going to be a mermaid. I was a mermaid. You would NOT believe how pissed I was when I found out that my mom wanted to name me Ariel and my dad crushed that with, “I’m not naming my kid after an antenna.” Aerial does not equal Ariel. Thanks, nerd.

I kid, Dad. Love you… but like – COME ON 

In the midst of all my dreaming and planning (I am such a planner that I follow paper planners on all my social media) as an adult, I came across a maternity shirt that I quickly pinned on Pinterest stating “We hope it’s a mermaid.” I dreamt of the day I got to wear that. Little did I know that it would be a long time before I would get to wear it, if ever. So, that shirt embodied this dream of a little thing flipping around and swimming in my belly, and I kept hoping and hoping that it would come to fruition. 

Well, along the way, the mermaid began to mean more than just the dream and the shirt that started the dream. You see, along the way, I have tried alternate methods of just the good ol’ fashioned way of making a baby. I have used medical treatments. I have used acupuncture. I have gone to an energy healer where I learned that I need to work on my sacral chakra which is the water chakra. Mermaid. I needed to ask my inner child what she wants? To be a mermaid. 

I learned that in the fertility world, there are different magical creatures associated with getting pregnant without treatment (or while on a break): unicorns. There are beautiful water creatures associated with IVF babies: flamingos instead of storks. (Why? They’re more expensive than the plain old white birds that come along to bring you babies and these cost a lot more and come with a lot of flair - designer storks - if - you - will). I have learned that rainbows represent babies after loss. These rainbow babies are the beauty after a storm. 

Well, it’s been raining nearly four years here... there’s an ocean of pain that I’m navigating through, but as a sweet friend’s mom once said to her during her infertility path: “Smooth seas don’t make for strong sailors.”  Even in the midst of the pain we’ve been going through....Even if the ocean represents the tears I’ve cried during this long path...I know that one day there’s a mermaid that will show up in that ocean eventually. 

During our chats, on nights feeling hopeful, we agreed on a girl name first: Aria. It’s Hebrew for Ariel. It also means Lion of God. A fighting mermaid. Get it, girl. Rar. We also agreed to James for a boy. It means one who follows, or supplanter. That has nothing to do with a mermaid, but there have been some storms we have weathered. Perhaps James follows this long battle of grief. All I know is that these names are on my heart and I think of these babies every day. If you’re a praying person, and you’re praying for us, then I hope you’ll pray for these names specifically. If you’re not, then when you wish upon a star at night, I hope you’ll send a wish for these names specifically because I know they’ll be here one day. 

As each day goes along, we are hoping for a mermaid: Our own beautiful magical creature from our own journey in our sea of pain. He or she may be from IVF, or adoption, or on a break from treatment, but that little one is ours already and we are never going to stop swimming. 

Comments

  1. Ashley,
    I don’t know how God is going to choose to answer your prayer but I can’t wait to watch!!!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There's Always Been A Rainbow Hangin' Over Your Head

Rainbows. They mean so much to many different communities and groups of people. When you google them the first thing that comes up is that they are a symbol of peace and love. For the LGBTQ community, they became a symbol when an activist created a rainbow flag in which each color had a meaning associated with their culture. It’s still used today as a sign of pride and love not only in the LGBTQ community but also to show support for them. That is why I wanted to wait until pride month had concluded before explaining rainbows and their specific narrowed meaning to me. As major Lisa Frank fan and follower, I was a huge fan of rainbows growing up. (I say “was” like I didn’t buy Lisa Frank tattoos for a local cornhole tournament with a group of attorneys and convince a few judges to actually put the tattoos on within the last three years or so…ok, so I’m still a Lisa Frank fan.) I always thought rainbows were so beautiful. My elementary school had a huge rainbow mural across...

Be Still, Girl, Chill.

I’m not one of those people who pushes my beliefs or religion on other people. In all honesty, I rarely even talk about my religion. Emily Post says not to, so I try to keep things to myself. It’s rare that I even talk about politics because of that as well. However, for this post, I’m going to talk a little about how infertility brought me and my husband back to church. We were spiritual people, but we hadn’t made many efforts to find a church home since we were married. My husband hadn’t gone to church in quite a while. I had never really had a church home growing up. I went with friends often, but I didn’t have a home church. In the midst of all of the pain we were going through, we decided to try a church because it reminded me of the one, I visited the most at home. Also, it was beautiful, and I wanted to go inside. I felt a pull to that church because I was judging that book by it’s cover, which by the way, I often do, and it hasn’t really let me down just yet. Luckily for ...